Discussion Paper 3, Opal Mining Act 1995 and Regulations 2011, has now been released for public consultation. This is the third in a series of three discussion papers that have been released as part of the Leading Practice Mining Acts Review, "to modernise the regulation of our State's mineral resources industry".
PLEASE NOTE: Grain Producers SA has scheduled a series of community meetings to discuss this review, including one at Maitland at the Central Yorke Football Club on 2 February, 10.30am - 12.30 pm. All welcome.
The Department of State Development has also planned numerous "drop-in sessions" across regional SA, including at Maitland on 2 February at the Central Yorke Football Club, from 1.30pm-5pm; and 6pm-8pm
In releasing this final paper, the government states,
"Recent consultation with the Regulation Branch, Department of State Development and opal mining associations has identified that some further amendments to the Act would enhance transparency and increase regulatory efficiency. Any amendments identified throughout the Review should improve the Act's ability to balance the various competing interests and priorities around opal mining, and increase community confidence in both the industry and in the regulatory process."
For a copy of all three Discussion Papers visit:
The closing date for submissions is 24 February 2017.
LOCATIONS OF INFORMATION SESSIONS SCHEDULED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE DEVELOPMENT:
- Ceduna Monday 30 January Ceduna Foreshore Motel 10.30am-1.30pm;4.30pm-7.30pm
- Port Lincoln Wednesday 1 February Port Lincoln Hotel 9am-12.30pm; 3pm-6pm
- Maitland Thursday 2 February Central Yorke Football Club 1.30pm-5pm; 6pm-8pm
- Mount Barker Friday 3 February Auchendarroch 2.30pm-7.30pm
- Adelaide Monday 6 February Department of State Development Level 7, 101 Grenfell St 9.30am-1.30pm
- Burra Thursday 9 February Burra Sports Complex 10.30am-12.30pm
- Port Augusta Thursday 9 February Standpipe Golf Motor Inn 6.30pm-9.30pm
- Hawker Friday 10 February Hawker Community Sports Centre 10.30am-2.30pm
- Whyalla Monday 13 February New Whyalla Hotel 11am - 3.30pm
- Coober Pedy Wednesday 15 February Mud Hut Motel 1pm-4pm; 6.30pm - 8.30pm
- McLaren Vale Tuesday 14 February McLaren Vale Institute Hall 10.30am-2.30pm
- Mount Gambier Friday 17 February Main Corner Complex 11am - 1 pm
- Naracoorte Friday 17 February Naracoorte Town Hall 4pm-6pm